Marketing & Communications Department
Under the direction and guidance of the Director, Communications & Content, the Communications Specialist will become the subject matter expert on United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ (UWGLA) mission and work, engaging our donors and consumer audiences through storytelling and enhancing the development of our communications platforms, strategy and process. The Specialist will develop content for all consumer- and corporate-facing channels, platforms, and events, and will provide copywriting for the Marketing, Development and Community Impact teams. The Communications Specialist will help execute on strategies and tactics outlined by the marketing plans and marketing communications calendar, with a strong focus on copywriting, messaging and content strategy.
As a member of the Marketing & Communications team, the successful candidate will be an excellent communicator, comfortable in an "all hands on deck" environment, be able to operate and coordinate across multiple teams, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. This position is full-time and based in Los Angeles.
- Develop a deep understanding of the organization’s mission and impact work in education, housing and financial stability.
- Work closely with key internal and external stakeholders to create emotionally compelling content that inspires donors and consumer audiences, and showcases our community impact work.
- Develop a variety of externally- and internally-facing written content, including (but not limited to):
- Marketing materials and collateral such as: corporate presentations, sponsorship decks, event invitations, signage, brochures, case studies, and annual reports
- Speechwriting such as keynotes, speeches, scripts, and written statements on behalf of executives and senior leaders
- Digital communications like email newsletters and copy for UWGLA’s website and other digital platforms
- Other writing functions as needed, such as internal communications materials
- Regularly connect with stakeholders, subject matter experts and clients for the creation of content, providing ideas for new stories to the Director, Communications & Content for usage in marketing & communications efforts.
- Leverage social media best practices and learnings in the creation of content for UWGLA social media channels.
- Edit copy and provide content feedback for the Marketing & Communications team.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, marketing, journalism, communications or related field or equivalent experience required
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in marketing, PR, social media, content development, or advertising
- Interest in local and state current events, politics and issues is a plus
- Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to write compellingly for a wide range of marketing & communications needs, occasions and styles
- Ability to quickly gain expert fluency on all aspects of the organization’s activities and priorities, and to maintain knowledge of our community impact work, current events, politics and world events
- Ability to translate complicated subject matters, such as policy and advocacy work, into simple, compelling and clear communications
- Ability to write in a natural, conversational style is essential, as is having the knack to capture the "voice" and "style" of different executives
- Experience in developing and editing high-quality written materials; writing quickly and eloquently under tight deadlines. Willing to occasionally work late nights or weekends during crunch times to meet business needs
- Must thrive under pressure and be able to accept constructive feedback
- Outstanding attention to detail is a must. This includes accurately capturing and incorporating all edits and feedback given
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with graphic designers and cross-functional teams to develop marketing materials and collateral, social media content and other content creation deliverables
- Proactive and self-motivated to lead and execute on responsibilities
- Excellent prioritization, project management and critical thinking skills, with a strong sense of focus, organization, and meticulous attention to detail
- Enthusiastic team player with the flexibility to re-prioritize, multi-task and switch tasks fluidly
- Positive, can-do attitude with ability to hit the ground running
- Ability to work independently, troubleshoot and work in a fast-moving, multi-tasking environment with numerous deadlines
- Superior knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel) is essential
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history, with the “Communications Specialist” position title in the Subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at email@example.com
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.