Community Impact Department
Under the general direction and guidance of the Manager, Homeless Systems Change, the Coordinator, Homeless Initiatives will be responsible for critical aspects of Home For Good, the initiative to create and sustain an end to homelessness in LA County, beginning with veterans and our chronically homeless neighbors. The Coordinator will be on the front lines of this inspiring and historic effort. The Coordinator will lead advising for efforts to end homelessness in key regions of LA County. He/she will also manage efforts to improve processes at public agencies that have particular effect on homelessness.
We invite candidates to join together with our dynamic, innovative team of implementers. The work environment is fast-paced and energized, focused on continuous learning and improvement both internally and out in the field. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a deep passion for ending homelessness, possess a strong work-ethic, enjoy dynamic problem-solving, operate with a team & mission-first mindset, and exhibit a track record of cultivating easy, meaningful, and productive relationships with diverse partners.
- Advise and manage regional & system-wide efforts to improve performance in key measures of ending homelessness:
- Identification: increase percentage of persons identified and engaged by the homeless services system (Coordinated Entry System – CES).
- Navigation: increase the percentage of persons identified who are assigned a housing navigator, and shorten the time it takes to do make the assignment.
- Support: for those who are provided bridge housing and shelter, shorten the amount of time it takes to enter.
- House: shorten the length of time between submission of a housing vacancy request and match, and significantly shorten the days from match to move-in.
- Sustain: increase the percentage of persons housed who are still stably housed one year after placement.
- Act as Home For Good’s primary liaison to key public agencies (e.g., LA County Department of Mental Health), working with program staff to suggest and improve policies that are critical to improving performance measures and ending homelessness
- Cultivate necessary relationships with staff at leading service providers, public agency staff, and community stakeholders.
- Collaborate with United Way’s Development and Marketing Teams to provide creative engagement opportunities for additional stakeholders to participate in the regional efforts to end homelessness.
- Support United Way’s effort to secure greater resources for community impact via meaningful real-time impact statistics and stories at the end of each quarter from work with key regions and agencies.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience with at least 2 years of related experience in service delivery, systems change or policy work. Proven ability to develop, manage, and evaluate efforts to end homelessness.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Social Work, Urban Planning or equivalent experience required.
- Expertise and background in policy, continuous improvement, and systems change strategies.
- Working knowledge of the root causes of and solutions to homelessness.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse environment.
- Must be able to transfer thoughts and ideas into concrete, coherent actions, while applying continuous quality improvement processes to evaluate outcomes.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making.
- Must be able to utilize creative strategies to engage stakeholders and maintain effective working relationship with key stakeholders.
- Should possess strong interpersonal skills, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to persuade small and large groups alike.
- Must be able to successfully consolidate competing priorities from stakeholders toward a singular goal.
- Must be able to prioritize work, meet specific deadlines, and make appropriate adjustments to changing circumstances as necessary
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential.
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history, with the “Coordinator, Homeless Initiatives” position title in the Subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.