Marketing & Communications Department
Under the general direction of the Vice President, Marketing & Communications, the Director, Communications & Content will lead the messaging of the United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA) brand, increasing the awareness and visibility of UWGLA among the general public through integrated communications strategies including media relations, social media, content creation, and thought leadership. The Director is responsible for shaping and creating all brand messaging and content, as well as the creation and execution of all public relations and social media strategies targeting internal and external audiences. Through integrated communications strategies, the Director will advance the UWGLA mission and the organization’s community leadership position.
Growing our brand is critical to the health of our business and will help lead the transformation of United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Responsible for development and execution of integrated and innovative public relations, thought leadership, and social media plans to advance the awareness of the UWGLA mission and leadership positioning.
- Manage proactive and reactive media relations activities, including fostering productive relationships with key contacts, facilitating all media requests, uncovering opportunities, crafting compelling pitches, and managing and coaching spokespeople.
- Develop UWGLA’s messaging and ensure it is reinforced and consistent across all channels.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including Development and Community Impact to ensure that PR and social media campaigns and concepts are appropriately integrated and amplified across all platforms.
- Help formulate strategic vision and long-term PR planning, ensuring the team achieves organizational goals through innovative and impactful solutions.
- Develop social media and content strategies, integrating digital trends and social media best practices.
- Oversee UWGLA social media channels and the social media content calendar as part of the overall marketing and communications calendar; track and measure results on all platforms.
- Engage with UWGLA’s social communities effectively and efficiently.
- Create an internal communications strategy and develop processes in partnership with Human Resources to ensure consistent, time-sensitive and inclusive messaging to all employees.
- Write scripts, speeches and talking points for key UWGLA leaders for events, press interviews and public speaking engagements.
- Develop press materials such as press releases, media alerts, factsheets and media pitches.
- Manage external agency resources to drive results; direct agency resources and monitor for quality control; provide direct and timely feedback; monitor and measure agency deliverables against goals and objectives.
- Supervise internal staff and external vendors for graphic design, writing, photography, and video to create compelling, on-brand content.
- Monitor, assess and report on PR and social media results, providing media coverage reports and KPI dashboards. Ensure that appropriate, measurable baselines are established for ongoing measurement and analysis.
- Create strategies to raise the thought leadership profile of UWGLA and key personnel.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or equivalent experience required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of related experience in PR/corporate communications, social media with experience in both agency and corporate environments preferred
- Experience creating visual content for social media platforms including video production, infographics, and other imagery to drive loyalty
- Interest in local and state current events, politics, and issues is a plus
- Extensive media relations experience, with established relationships with top-tier local, consumer, trade, and other relevant contacts
- Expert experience with social media listening and measurement tools; ability to track media coverage and provide value to organization
- Proven ability to increase social media followings and social media/digital engagement
- Familiarity with SEM and SEO
- Ability to quickly gain expert fluency on all aspects of the organization’s activities and priorities, and to maintain knowledge of our Community Impact work, current events, politics, and work events
- Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to write compellingly for a wide range of audiences and needs, such as scripts, keynotes, press materials, and social media channels
- Ability to tie initiatives to high level business objectives and roll up sleeves to drive flawless and timely execution and monitoring of performance
- Self-motivated and independent, with excellent prioritization, project management and critical thinking skills, a strong sense of focus, organization, and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to effectively work across functions, including Marketing & Communications, Development, Community Impact, and Finance
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to communicate strategy, tactics, and results with clarity for a variety of audiences
- Enthusiastic team player with positive can-do attitude, flexibility to re-prioritize, multi-task and switch tasks fluidly, including ability to hit the ground running
- Ability to creatively troubleshoot and work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with numerous deadlines
- Must thrive under pressure and be able to accept constructive feedback
- Willing to occasionally work late nights or weekends during crunch times to meet business needs
- Superior knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel) is essential
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history, with the “Director, Communications & Content” position title in the Subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.