Marketing & Communications Department
Under the general direction of the Vice President, Marketing & Communications, the Director, CRM & Data Analytics will play a key leadership role in meeting overall fundraising goals by increasing donor participation and retention, growing lifetime value of donors, reducing donor churn, and reactivating lapsed donors. Retaining donors is critical to the health of the organization and the Director, CRM & Data Analytics will be a change agent in a high profile position; a critical role in the transformation of United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA).
The ideal candidate will have passion in three areas: creating exceptional customer experiences, using data and analytics to inform programs and campaigns, and building and optimizing multi-channel retention and renewal campaigns. We are looking for an individual with exceptional communication skills, a high drive for results, and strong data analysis and interpretation abilities. The director will serve as thought leader and primary evangelist of advanced analytics and its application to drive key strategies. Additionally, this person should have working experience with complex organizations on relatively large-scale or high-value projects, and with solving complex analytical problems using quantitative approaches and technical tools. This key leader will have a passion for discovery, innovation, and the power of analytics to drive financial results and improve customer experiences.
- Build personalized, end-to-end, donor-centric experiences that drive engagement, build loyalty and create positive donor experiences, with the ultimate goals of increasing revenue, donor participation and taking the donor from awareness to ownership on the donor commitment continuum.
- Identify strategic donor opportunities and segments, creating and executing retention, loyalty, advocacy, and winback strategies and tactics across multiple segments.
- Develop programs that delight and retain key customer segments and reduce churn.
- Oversee direct mail program, providing leadership and strategic direction for concept development of campaigns and direct mail pieces. Guide strategy (including A/B testing) and implementation while managing P&L and external vendors to drive financial results.
- Create email marketing strategies to support marketing goals, establishing and implementing email best practices, including A/B and multi-variant testing.
- Identify new channel strategies and tactics to drive donor engagement, loyalty and retention.
- Develop a deep understanding of donor segments across a variety of data sources (internal donor database, primary and secondary research, etc.) to drive marketing campaigns, strategy development, and new approaches to engagement.
- Develop proactive donor marketing strategies to target donors with low engagement and who are at risk for not renewing.
- Partner with Marketing and Development teams on creation of marketing strategies targeting donors within our affinity groups.
- Lead the creation of a best-in-class data analytics capability, building the infrastructure needed to provide data-driven analysis and donor insights. Oversee the Data Analyst in delivering reports and analysis for the organization.
- Leverage data analytics and donor insights to offer data-driven strategies to segment and target donors, and to improve and optimize engagement and retention.
- Create effective dashboards, data visualizations and reports to track and analyze KPIs, with an audience emphasis on sales and marketing executive leadership end users.
- Set success criteria, measure impact, and evolve the strategy in order to impact donor retention, loyalty and engagement. Ensure that appropriate, measurable baselines are established for ongoing measurement and analysis.
- Define the ideal donor experience for each segment in close partnership with stakeholders in Marketing & Communications, Development and Community Impact teams.
- Regularly communicate plans, report on results and set expectations with executive and leadership teams and other stakeholders with confidence and clarity.
- Stay current on market, competition, best practices, and trends, applying them to strategies when applicable.
- Manage external vendors and contractors to maximize results, and support the current and future goals of the organization.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s or equivalent advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in Marketing/CRM/Digital Marketing
- Proven strategist with strong business acumen who is “hands-on” when needed
- Strong proficiency with CRM platforms, data reporting systems and programs, database management, and email service provider tools
- Strong analytical skills with proven ability to scrutinize large amounts of data and turn into actionable initiatives (including both quantitative and qualitative data)
- Familiarity with testing methodology and desire to drive results through analytics
- Self-motivated and independent, with strong sense of focus and organization
- Able to be strategic and tie initiatives to high level organization objectives, roll up sleeves to drive flawless and timely execution, and monitor performance
- Experienced manager who cares deeply about the personal and professional development of his/her team.
- Ability to effectively work across functions, i.e. Marketing & Communications, Development, Community Impact, and Finance
- Ability to creatively troubleshoot, thrive under pressure, and accept constructive criticism
- Should possess strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to communicate strategy, tactics, and results clearly to a variety of audiences
- Strong analytical skills and experience with tracking key performance metrics for events; previous experience with CRM systems a plus
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and create frameworks and plans to solve unstructured problems
- Enthusiastic team player with positive can-do attitude, flexibility to re-prioritize, multi-task, and switch tasks fluidly, including ability to hit the ground running
- Willing to occasionally work late nights or weekends during crunch times to meet business needs
- Superior knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel) is essential
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history, with the “Director, CRM & Data Analytics” position title in the subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.