Under the general direction of the Chief Operating Officer, the Director, Engagement & Strategic Initiatives will lead the organization in building the United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ (UWGLA) engagement strategy and execution as well as other strategic initiatives. This leader will play a critical role in the strategic development, implementation, day-to-day leadership and management of engagement plans, important partnerships and strategic initiatives to drive engagement, brand awareness, and revenue for UWGLA. The Director, Engagement & Strategic Initiatives will be responsible for developing and cultivating strategic engagement partnerships and sponsorships including corporate partnerships and cause marketing; in partnership with Development and Marketing. He/she is also responsible for overseeing UWGLA engagement strategy which will reach multiple audiences including corporate partners, individual donors, the civic community, consumer audiences, and employ various formats (summits, affinity group events, volunteer events, etc.). Additionally, the Director, Engagement & Strategic Initiatives will manage the strategic vision and execution of United Way’s internal culture strategy.
- Drive the vision and execution around connecting donors and the general public with the mission of the United Way of Greater Los Angeles
- Partner with Marketing, Development, and Community Impact Teams to create and implement corporate volunteerism programs
- Create year round engagement programs such as Day(s) of Service and Affinity Group activities
- Develop new funding opportunities including crowdsourcing, digital platforms, etc.
- Spearhead individualized corporate donor engagement/Corporate Social Responsibility & Corporate Citizenship efforts
- Develop and implement engagement activities within United Way events (e.g. HomeWalk, Summits, etc.)
- Spearhead United Way’s presence around environmental sustainability
- Identify and apply models and constructs to assess current state of United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ workplace practices and culture and build a multi-year plan to obtain future goals
- Inspire creative solutions to achieve future goals in the areas of creating an inclusive work environment, identifying collaborative work approaches, alternative work models, etc.
- In partnership with Development and Marketing, prepare executive summaries, dashboards, and presentations as it relates to engagement to keep internal stakeholders apprised of initiatives and progress being made, as well as presentations and announcements to keep external stakeholders in the know
- Develop and implement appropriate measurements to track initiatives, efforts, and accomplishments
- Drive change through identifying benchmarks and/or goals, solutions, training, tools, and resources, across the organization to build a high-performing environment
- Demonstrate being an active knowledge seeker and thought leader in Donor, general market, and Workplace engagement as well as workplace innovation by continually scanning the environment for ideas and approaches that could be tested and implemented at United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Act as UWGLA spokesperson when needed
- Oversee a budget as it relates to Engagement
- Build, oversee and lead a team as it relates to Engagement
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s or equivalent advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 7 years related experience with a proven track record of innovative results
- Should possess excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at once
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making
- Prior success in building rapport and influencing at the senior leadership level, including experience presenting to senior business leaders and external stakeholder audiences
- Prior success in a consultative role with proven ability and expertise in developing, communicating, and implementing strategic vision
- Skilled at using facts and analytics to understand trends and develop solutions that lead to measurable impact on an organization
- Ability to “think outside the box.” as a strategic, innovative, and creative thinker
- Excellent project and program management skills
- Proven track record of creating high impact campaigns that move the needle on social issues
- Proven ability to effectively lead and collaborate across broad stakeholders to maximize impact as well as direct, lead, and manage a team
- Proven ability to establish clear goals, manage through ambiguity, and drive results.
- Excellent budget management skills
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential; experience using Microsoft CRM or comparable fundraising database software preferred
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history with the “Director, Engagement & Strategic Initiatives” position title in the Subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.