Director, Marketing & Events
The Director, Marketing & Events will play a key leadership role in building the United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA) brand, and increasing the awareness and visibility of UWGLA among the general public and UWGLA donors. The Director, Marketing & Events will be responsible for managing, shaping, and improving the perception of the UWGLA brand through the strategic development, implementation and day-to-day management of marketing plans, strategic partnerships and events. In addition, the Director, Marketing & Events will oversee the creative direction and production of all marketing materials and assets.
Growing our brand is critical to the health of our business and will help lead the transformation of United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
Brand Marketing and Partnerships:
- Define the vision for the UWGLA brand, ensuring brand consistency across all channels, and platforms
- Develop a comprehensive suite of marketing and messaging materials, providing creative direction and communicating a compelling brand position. For reference, a selection UWGLA's current marketing materials can be viewed at http://www.unitedwayla.org/campaign-toolkit.
- Create and manage strategic partnerships, including corporate partnerships, event sponsorships and cause marketing partnerships.
- Develop a deep understanding of donor segments across a variety of data sources to drive marketing campaigns and strategies.
- Partner with key members of the Marketing and Communications team to ensure integration of brand marketing, PR, digital, email, social media and content strategies and initiatives that drive brand visibility and loyalty.
- Review and approve all marketing materials using UWGLA name and/or logo.
- Oversee all aspects of production for events ranging in scale from intimate donor events to large-scale experiential events (such as United Way’s annual HomeWalk 5K), including: project management, budget management, programming and content, marketing collateral, scripts and keynotes, site planning, vendor negotiations, flawless execution day of event, and post-event analysis and reporting
- Lead the creation of marketing and communications strategies to support UWGLA events
- Identify and secure event sponsorships, as well as in-kind and media sponsorships, to raise sponsorship revenue for the UWGLA event portfolio
- Measure KPIs and evaluate ROI to understand the effectiveness of investments in events.
Organizational Leadership & Capability Building:
- Develop annual Marketing & Events goals and workplans
- Report on and analyze KPIs, evolving and optimizing the marketing strategy based on analysis to ensure progress against goals
- Manage, coach, and develop a team of three - Marketing Manager, Events Manager, and Marketing Coordinator
- Develop processes to ensure intra-departmental success, while championing cross-functional collaboration
- Regularly communicate plans, report on results and set expectations with Executive and Leadership teams and other stakeholders with confidence and clarity
- Stay current on market, competition, best practices, and trends, applying them to strategies when applicable
- Develop and manage Marketing & Events budgets
- Manage external vendors and contractors to maximize results and support the goals of the organization
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree a plus
- Required Experience: Minimum 7 years of experience in Brand/Consumer Marketing with management responsibilities
Additional Desired Experience:
- Marketing experience in areas outside of Brand/Consumer Marketing (e.g., CRM, digital marketing, e-commerce, customer insights, sales, strategy consulting)
- Experience developing innovative 360 marketing plans that heavily leverage digital and social mediums to deliver effective marketing messages
- Proven track record in planning successful events, acquiring event sponsorships or similar business development
- Proven ability to translate complicated subject matters, such as policy and advocacy work, into simple, compelling and clear communications
- Self-motivated and independent, with strong sense of focus and organization
- Cares deeply for the personal and professional development of the people on their team
- Ability to creatively troubleshoot and work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment, and to deal with ambiguity and create frameworks and plans to solve unstructured problems
- Effective relationship builder, particularly with key constituents such as board members, corporate partners and sponsors, and new business targets
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history with the “Director, Marketing & Events” position title in the Subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
UWGLA Marketing Materials
The Director Marketing & Events will be responsible for developing a comprehensive suite of marketing campaign materials. For candidate reference, a selection of UWGLA's current materials can be viewed on our website via http://www.unitedwayla.org/campaign-toolkit.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.