Community Impact Department
Develop and lead strategy to drive public awareness, community support, and engagement.
Under the general direction and guidance of the Vice President, Community Impact, the Director, Public Affairs will be responsible for critical aspects of Home For Good, the initiative to create and sustain an end to homelessness in LA County. The Director, Public Affairs will develop and lead political strategy to drive effective implementation of public awareness and a community organizing campaign. The Director, Public Affairs will build broad community support and engagement around solutions to end homelessness, including the successful siting of permanent supportive housing and related services.
- Design and implement key communications strategies for major public education campaigns and for Home For Good’s key stakeholders (Home For Good is a collective effort of over 100 community based providers and features an annual walk of over 10,000 members of the public.). The Director, Public Affairs will manage strategic communications specifically relevant to United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ homeless work; collaborating closely with the Marketing & Communications team.
- Develop and execute a broad-based policy agenda and community organizing strategy for the Yes to Housing campaign to secure successful siting of 10,000 units of permanent supportive housing from Proposition HHH. Work with United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ portfolio of funded advocacy organizations and individual donors to develop joint actions that drive toward the investments and policies necessary to end homelessness.
- Manage and drive the strategic direction of the Home For Good Business Leaders Task Force to ensure that this unique body is meaningfully connected to the broader actions of Home For Good and a key catalyst in public and political mobilization.
- Participate in efforts to secure substantially higher investments to fund the United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ efforts to end homelessness in partnership and support of the President & CEO and the Development team.
- Monitor the local regulatory, legislative, and policy landscape in order to identify issues impacting the strategic and community interests of United Way of Greater Los Angeles and its stakeholders as it relates to housing and ending homelessness.
- Develop and strengthen necessary relationships with staff at elected offices, advocacy organizations, public agency staff, and strategic community stakeholders to advance the campaign’s goals.
- Manage and direct special advisors and contractors to provide specialized supports and production of short-term campaigns and communications.
- Develop and execute partner organization engagement strategies with responsibility for leveraging existing United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ partner relationships as well as developing new ones towards the campaign’s goals. Partner with United Way’s Development, Engagement, and Marketing & Communications teams to produce and execute.
- Identify and develop compelling content and help produce materials to support United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ efforts to secure greater resources for community impact in the homelessness arena.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 5 - 7 years relevant work experience in communications, media relations, systems change, or public affairs. Proven ability to develop, manage, and evaluate community organizing initiatives and/or communications campaigns to end homelessness
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science, Public Policy, Social Work, Urban Planning, or a closely related discipline, or equivalent experience required. Master’s degree or equivalent advanced degree or certificate preferred
- Expertise and background in policy, political negotiations with elected office, legislative processes, strategic communications, community organizing, and systems change strategies
- Working knowledge of the root cause of and solutions to homelessness
- Demonstrated experience in activating previously unengaged constituents toward an organization or cause.
- Must be able to make compelling public comment and facilitate meetings in an engaging fashion.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, courteously, and tactfully with difficult situations and/or individuals to identify issues and solve problems
- Must be able to help others organize thoughts and ideas into concrete and coherent actions
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making
- Must be able to utilize creative strategies to engage a range of stakeholders, maintaining effective working relationships with key stakeholders
- Must be able to successfully consolidate competing priorities from stakeholders toward a singular goal
- Should possess strong interpersonal skills, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to persuade small and large groups alike
- Must be able to organize and prioritize work and meet specific deadlines, improvising to changing circumstances when necessary
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history, with the “Director, Public Affairs” position title in the Subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at email@example.com
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.