Grants Coordinator, Homeless Initiatives
Under the general direction and guidance of the Program Officer, Strategic Funding, the Grants Coordinator will support critical aspects of Home For Good, the cross-sector initiative led by United Way of Greater LA, to create and sustain an end to homelessness in LA County. The Grants Coordinator, Homeless Initiatives will be an essential member of the team’s strategic funding work and will be responsible for oversight and management of the homeless and housing grants portfolio made through United Way and the Home For Good Funders Collaborative. In this role, the Grants Coordinator will also provide support to the operations of the Home for Good Funders Collaborative, a leading public/private partnership of 30 funders investing in innovative ideas and scalable solutions to homelessness
We invite candidates to join our dynamic team of collaborators and help lead this diverse group of public and private partners. The work environment is fast-paced and energized, focused on continuous learning and improvement both internally and out in the field. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a deep passion for philanthropy and ending homelessness, possess a strong work ethic, be analytical and adaptive, operate with a team, organizational and mission-first mindset, and exhibit a track record of cultivating easy, meaningful, and productive relationships with diverse partners.
- Support grantmaking efforts to end homelessness within LA County.
- In partnership with the Program Officer, Strategic Funding, manage United Way’s Housing and Home for Good Funders Collaborative grant portfolio. Functions to include:
- Manages all grant applicant submittals
- Reviews and analyze grant submissions for consideration
- Drives the timely review of grant submissions by internal and external reviewers
- Cultivates necessary relationships with prospective and funded partners; Maintain regular communication with United Way’s grantees and share relevant information about resources and other partnerships offered by United Way; provide opportunities for their additional involvement in events and campaigns.
- Coordinates partner contracts and payments
- Designs and maintains methods to collect grant impact and outcomes, and
- Supports success of projects and partners throughout the grant term.
- Supports Program Officer, Strategic Funding in developing strategic and efficient request for proposals, including designing, executing and managing application process for potential applicants/partners.
- Serves as liaison to the Funders Collaborative, including providing meeting and member support in partnership with the Program Officer, Strategic Funding.
- Coordinates across the Housing team, United Way departments and Home for Good Funders Collaborative members to compile and communicate investment impact to support continuous improvement of initiative, and work to increase revenue through grantseeking and fundraising.
- Supports Community Impact department and Housing team around United Way’s events, including the annual HomeWalk event, through representation on cross-departmental teams, fundraising, management of status trackers and communications (external and internal) for HomeWalk.
- Collaborates with United Way’s Development, Marketing and Engagement teams to design and cultivate creative engagement and volunteer opportunities for stakeholder participation in regional efforts to end homelessness.
- Identifies, plans, and executes special initiative funding projects on an “as needed” and funding available basis.
- Supports Home For Good team as needed in other events, campaigns and activities related to the success of the initiative and the organization.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 3 - 5 years relevant work experience in systems change, policy work, non-profit, and/or homelessness services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Social Work, Urban Planning or equivalent experience required.
- Expertise and background in philanthropy, continuous improvement, and systems change strategies.
- Working knowledge of the root causes of and solutions to homelessness.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse environment.
- Must be able to transfer thoughts and ideas into concrete, coherent actions, while applying continuous quality improvement processes to evaluate outcomes.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision-making.
- Must be able to utilize creative strategies to engage stakeholders and maintain effective working relationship with key stakeholders.
- Should possess strong interpersonal skills, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to persuade small and large groups alike.
- Must have ability to integrate competing priorities from stakeholders toward a singular goal successfully
- Must be able to prioritize work, meet specific deadlines, and make appropriate adjustments to changing circumstances as necessary
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential.
- Grants database management systems experience a plus.
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history, with the “Grants Coordinator, Homeless Initiatives” position title in the Subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.