Under the general direction of the Director, Major Gifts, the Major Gifts Officer is primarily responsible for developing and managing relationships with specific assigned donors, with the capacity to give $10,000 or more on an annual basis. The Major Gifts Officer will provide planning, coordinating, and follow-through with the implementation of donor engagement strategies for one-to-one contact with high wealth individuals.
- With assigned major donors and prospects, personally initiate and cultivate one-to-one relationships that enhance the donor’s connection and lifetime loyalty to United Way.
- On an ongoing basis, utilize team and volunteer resources to enhance philanthropic gift opportunities and options and increase donor’s (and prospects) involvement, if appropriate.
- Secure new or increased gifts for the annual campaign and longer-term initiative efforts.
- Design highly customized donor engagement plans for assigned donors in collaboration with Development department team and other United Way departments.
- Provide support and facilitate a positive, coordinated representation for major donors by closely working with the Development department Shared Services, Business Development, Major Accounts, and Public Sector Accounts teams.
- As a member of the Major Gifts team, develop volunteer management plan that leverages resources and compliments a variety of volunteer strengths and opportunities in prospecting, cultivating, soliciting, and strategic planning.
- Ensure the creation and implementation of a personalized donor recognition program for assigned donors.
- Integrate planned giving options into donor relationship development activities.
- Actively support the development of a donor relations data system (CRM) to maintain and capture critical donor information.
- Assist, as needed, in prospect research and identification, including engaging in continuous cultivation of new prospects.
- On occasion, represent United Way to a variety of external constituencies with high wealth and establish a dialogue about philanthropic values and priorities.
- Participate in the development and implementation of market segment strategies as required for one-to-one donor relationship building; provide statistical analysis and market evaluation as needed.
- Communicate and integrate with internal departments and operations to strengthen company relationships and develop greater customer service.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years related experience with a proven track record of securing major gifts.
- Should possess strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to accurately manage and analyze data.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities and demonstrate confidence working with corporate and community leaders.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, Outlook, and PowerPoint is essential; experience using Microsoft CRM or comparable fundraising database software preferred.
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history with the “Major Gifts Officer” position title in the Subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.