Under the general direction of the Director, Major Gifts, the Los Angeles-based Major Gifts Officer is primarily responsible for developing and managing relationships with specific assigned donors, with the capacity to give $10,000 or more on an annual basis. The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will provide planning, coordinating, and follow-through with the implementation of donor engagement strategies for one-to-one contact with high wealth individuals.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for actively sourcing and developing new high net worth donors and/or businesses with a focus on the Korean and Korean-American Community. The MGO will also lead the “One Gift/Two Country” Initiative for the United Way of Greater Los Angeles (UWGLA) in partnership with the Community Chest of Korea (CCK). The goal of this initiative is to engage Korean Americans living in the Los Angeles area to make contributions to those in need in Los Angeles and/or Korea.
- With assigned major donors and prospects, personally initiate and cultivate one-to-one relationships that enhance the donor’s connection and lifetime loyalty to United Way.
- Act as UWGLA’s expert on the Korean community, including leading a bi-national initiative with the Community Chest of Korea.
- Lead the “One Gift/Two Countries” initiative from start up to successful implementation, including clear fundraising goals in the first six months.
- On an ongoing basis, utilize team and volunteer resources to enhance philanthropic gift opportunities and options and increase donor’s (and prospects) involvement, if appropriate.
- With the Major Gifts team collectively manage and grow the portfolio of AdT donors and prospects.
- Secure new or increased gifts for the annual campaign and longer-term initiative efforts.
- Design highly customized donor engagement plans for assigned donors in collaboration with Development department team and other United Way departments.
- Provide support and facilitate a positive, coordinated representation for major donors by closely working with the Development department’s Shared Services, Business Development, Major Accounts, and Public Sector Accounts teams.
- As a member of the Major Gifts team, develop a volunteer management plan that leverages resources and compliments a variety of volunteer strengths and opportunities in prospecting, cultivating, soliciting, and strategic planning.
- Ensure the creation and implementation of a personalized donor recognition program for assigned donors.
- Integrate planned giving options into donor relationship development activities.
- Actively support the development of a donor relations data system (CRM) to maintain and capture critical donor information.
- Assist, as needed, in prospect research and identification, including engaging in continuous cultivation of new prospects.
- On occasion, represent United Way to a variety of external constituencies with high wealth and establish a dialogue about philanthropic values and priorities.
- Deep understanding of and experience within Los Angeles’ Korean-American community, including access to high net worth individual and the ability to navigate C-Suite relationships.
- Participate in the development and implementation of market segment strategies as required for one-to-one donor relationship building; provide statistical analysis and market evaluation as needed.
- Communicate and integrate with internal departments and operations to strengthen company relationships and develop greater customer service.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills in both English and Korean required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum 5 years related experience with a proven track record of securing major gifts.
- Active interest in developing closer relations between Korea and America through bi-national philanthropy; awareness of issues on the Korean peninsula.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making.
- Willingness to network outside of normal business hours, such as fundraising dinners, community events, conferences, and one-to-one with high net worth individuals.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities and demonstrate confidence working with corporate and community leaders.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, Outlook, and PowerPoint is essential; experience using Microsoft CRM or comparable fundraising database software preferred.
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history with the “Major Gifts Officer (Korea)” position title in the subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at email@example.com
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.