Meet #TeamUnited: Tommy Newman
Tommy Newman, United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ Director of Public Affairs, started his career as a deputy for Councilman Tom Labonge. He eventually went on to play key roles in the passing of Measure H & Proposition HHH. Tommy is a man of many talents, just one of which is posing for gifs. Learn more about him below!
1. How long have you been with United Way of Greater Los Angeles?
Almost 2 months.
2. What inspires you the most about working at United Way?
Being able to play a leadership role in the countywide movement to end homelessness.
3. What is your favorite thing that you have accomplished during your career with United Way so far?
As a consultant I was able to work on both the Prop. HHH and Measure H campaigns—both were thrilling victories that will help tens of thousands of people change the course of their lives.
4. What event are you looking forward to participating in this year?
5. As the Director of Public Affairs at United Way of Greater Los Angeles, what are you looking forward accomplishing?
We’re going to continue the campaigns that we started over the last year and engage people across the county in the work to end homelessness—it’s a great challenge and I’m excited about it.
6. What is your favorite snack?
Popcorn (made on the stove).
7. What book are you reading now?
“Rules for Radicals” by Saul Alinsky. I’m not sure if I’m a radical, but it’s a fascinating read.
8. Where’s your favorite place in L.A.?
A tie between Dodger Stadium and the Griffith Observatory.
9. What is your favorite thing to do on a weekend morning or after work hours?
Hanging out with my 17 month old daughter.
10. Is there a random fact about you that you want to tell us?
I was a late-night bike deliveryman in college.
11. Any fun hobbies?
I’m a big fan of planes and love learning about them.