Celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
– Leo Buscaglia
Random Acts Of Kindness Day takes place on February 17. Since its creation in 1995, it's become an international movement for spreading goodwill and compassion through kind gestures. It's a day that encourages people to be the light they want to see in the world.
Join the movement and help pass on kindness in your community. Here are some simple ways you can take part in Random Acts of Kindness Day!
1. Find opportunities to give compliments. It costs nothing, takes no time, and could make someone’s entire day!
2. If you’re an Amazon.com customer you can donate Amazon.com’s money to United Way of Greater Los Angeles through Amazon Smile. It takes just a couple clicks to set up and then Amazon will make a donation each time you make a purchase. Learn more here.
3. Everyone is important. Learn the names of your office security guard, the person at the front desk and other people you see everyday. Greet them by name and with a smile.
4. Donate to United Way's fight against poverty in L.A. County here.
5. Get involved in community service! Check out some of United Way’s upcoming volunteer opportunities here and sign up today.
6. Donate used clothing to your local homeless shelter.
7. Have a LinkedIn account? Write a recommendation for coworker or connection.
8. Become an advocate for your community. Start by signing up for our newsletter to stay up-to-date on all things United Way L.A. Sign up here.
9. Know a student that wants to make a difference? Tell them about the Young Civic Leaders Program and show them the power of advocacy. Learn more.
10. Take the time to tell a colleague at work how much you appreciate them.