Social Media Coordinator
Under the direction and guidance of the Director, Communications & Content, the Social Media Coordinator will become the social media expert on United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ (UWGLA) mission and work, engaging our donors and consumer audiences through storytelling, content creation, and active participation across all of the company’s social media platforms. Utilizing the Director, Communications & Content’s annual strategy, the Coordinator will be responsible for developing creative social content that’s impactful, knowledgeable, motivational, and aspirational as well as providing metric-driven insight into content successes in order to guide each social platforms’ continuous success.
The successful candidate will be a strategic writer and communicator, be able to understand and communicate important social media metrics to key stakeholders within UWGLA, be comfortable in an “all hands on deck” environment, be able to operate and coordinate across multiple teams, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
In addition to creating content, the Coordinator will work cross-departmentally to develop content that both promotes all UWGLA initiatives, goals, and events year-round while also highlighting the impact of our collective efforts.
Growing our brand is critical to the health of our business and will help lead the transformation of United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Develop a deep understanding of the organization’s mission and impact work in housing, education, and financial stability
- Leverage social media best practices and learnings in the creation of content for UWGLA social media channels
- Work closely with key internal and external stakeholders to create impactful, knowledgeable, motivational, and emotionally compelling social media content that inspires donors and consumer audiences to join our fight in creating pathways out of poverty
- Develop and execute strategic social media campaign ideas around key UWGLA events, national movements, and news
- Work closely with the CRM & Data Analytics team to develop, execute, and manage social media ad campaigns
- Work with Director, Communications & Content to monitor and report on social media metrics, providing KPI dashboards on a bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
- Work cross-departmentally to ensure that all campaigns and events are well-represented and promoted through UWGLA’s social media channels.
- Regularly interact with UWGLA’s key audiences both on and off social media in order to further drive awareness to our brand and mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, marketing, journalism, communications, or related field (or equivalent experience required)
- Minimum of 3 years of related experience in social media
- Exceptional writing and strategic thinking skills, including the ability to write concisely and compellingly across an array of social media platforms as well as the ability to develop and execute creative social media strategies
- Ability to quickly gain expert fluency on all aspects of the organization’s activities, priorities, mission, and goals, and to maintain knowledge of our community impact work, current events, world events, and politics
- Ability to translate complicated subject matters, such as policy and advocacy work, into simple, concise, compelling, and motivating social communications
- Ability to write in a natural, human style is essential, as is having the knack to capture the voice and style of the organization
- Experience in developing and writing social media content for a nonprofit organization or for-profit company is a must
- Must have outstanding attention to details, including being able to accurately capture facts, ideas, and stories to develop into dynamic social media content
- Self-motivated and independent, with excellent prioritization, project management and critical thinking skills, with a strong sense of focus, organization, and meticulous attention to detail
- Enthusiastic team player with the flexibility to re-prioritize, multi-task and switch tasks fluidly
- Positive, can-do attitude with ability to hit the ground running
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to communicate strategy, tactics, and results with clarity for a variety of audience
- Ability to work independently, troubleshoot and work in a fast-moving, multi-tasking environment with numerous deadlines
- Must thrive under pressure and be able to accept constructive feedback
- Willing to occasionally work late nights or weekends during crunch times to meet business needs
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new social media platforms
- Superior strategic knowledge of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and LinkedIn is essential
- Photography, photo editing, and graphic design skills are a plus but are not required
- Interest in local and state current events, politics, and social issues is a plus
Please email a PDF cover letter, resume, and salary history, with the “Social Media Coordinator” position title in the subject line, to Hiring Recruiter at Recruiter@unitedwayla.org. No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.